GENAFOR - GESELLSCHAFT FÜR
NACHHALTIGE FORSCHUNG e.V.
The following text will give you information on GENAFOR,
specifically on the following questions:
What is GENAFOR?
The full name of GENAFOR is ''GENAFOR - Gesellschaft
für nachhaltige Forschung e.V.'', in english: GENAFOR -
society for sustained research. GENAFOR is a non-profit scientific
society, a so-called ''eingetragener Verein'' (e.V.) under German
law. It was founded by scientists in the year 2002 and is open to
scientists from all countries that accept its statutes; the official
statutes of GENAFOR in German can be found HERE . The seat of GENAFOR
is Bonn, Germany.
What are the aims of GENAFOR?
According to its statutes the overall purpose of GENAFOR
is ''... experimental and theoretical research and knowledge transfer
in areas that contribute significantly to the progress of society,
namely medical research.'' This aim is pursued especially by the
- Formulation of specific aims that GENAFOR tries to reach
by long-term, sustained research.
- Research projects and studies towards the specific aims.
- Publication of research results.
- Organization of conferences to disseminate research results and methods.
- Support in the application of such methods.
- Provision of information systems that allow access to research results
What are the current fields of research of GENAFOR?
This GENAFOR is rooted in the research project AREVIR
funded by Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (grant numbers HO 1582/1-3
and KA 1569/1-3). AREVIR analyzes relations of HIV genome
and HIV drug resistance and tries to provide bioinformatics methods
for therapy optimization against HIV/AIDS. This explains the current
field of research of GENAFOR: virology and bioinformatics.
As GENAFOR develops further, it will expand or move to other
fields of research.
Who is chairing GENAFOR?
GENAFOR is chaired by three scientists:
- Chair for Experimental Research:
- Dr. Rolf Kaiser, Institute for
Virology, University of Cologne, Fürst-Pückler-Str. 56, D-50935 Cologne,
- Chair for Theoretical Research:
- Dr. Joachim Selbig, Max-Planck-Institute
for Molecular Plant Physiology, Am Mühlenberg 1, D-14476 Golm, Germany,
- Executive chair:
- Dr. Daniel Hoffmann, Center of Advanced European
Studies and Research, Ludwig-Erhard-Allee 2, D-53175 Bonn, Germany.
Who is on the board of GENAFOR?
GENAFOR has a board of five scientist who consult the chair
and supervise the work of GENAFOR:
- Professor Wolfgang Alt, Department for Theoretical Biology, University
of Bonn, Kirschallee 1, D-53115 Bonn, Germany,
- Professor Bernhard Fleckenstein, University of Erlangen-Nürnberg,
Institute for Clinical and Molecular Virology, Schlossgarten 4, D-91054
- Professor Dieter Häussinger, University Clinic Düsseldorf, Clinic
for Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Infectiology, Moorenstraße 5,
D-40225 Düsseldorf, Germany,
- Professor Thomas Lengauer, Max-Planck-Institut for Informatics, Stuhlsatzenhausweg
85, D-66123 Saarbrücken, Germany,
- Professor Herbert Pfister, Institut for Virology, University of Cologne,
Fürst-Pückler-Str. 56, D-50935 Köln, Germany.